Must #70: Write Down an Epiphany

This "Must" might seem a little far fetch but hear me out. Today was no special day just another Saturday-that is until my sister and I went to the Irvine Spectrum to watch my nephew play at the water park(an area with shooting water spouts). As soon as we arrived my sister informed me that my nephew might be a little hesitant about the shooting spouts since he'd been shot in the eye before and bled. For the first few minutes he ran along the perimeter and scoped out the site. After going full circle he made his way in and ran around like a banshee. Like clockwork, moments later he got shot in the eye. Jen pulled him aside and reminded him not to look down and to watch out for the shooting spouts. He didn't listen and got shot too many times to count. While watching this spectacle I was struck with an epiphany...so here goes....
Everyone has trials but its how you handle them that matters. Often we are advised from others to stay away from things/people that can hurt us and yet we choose not to listen and to continue on the same path. I would love to go back in time and change some of my decisions based off of the advice I'd been given. Why is it that we don't listen to those who have already experienced pain and similar trials? After watching my nephew it became painfully obvious that one only learns when some form of pain is experienced. For him it took several shots to his eyes before it finally clicked. I can think of at least a dozen times when I've ignored advice and found myself lost and broken. But maybe that's what's needed in order for change to occur. I've found that reoccurring trials don't go away until you choose to change your reaction towards them. So when you notice a negative pattern in your life that keeps reoccurring try a different approach and break the habit.

3 comments:

  1. So true! The hard part is recognizing that you're following a negative pattern or thinking the outcome will be different. Funny analogy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true! The only way to figure somethings out is to see it for yourself. People can tell you till their blue in the face, it doesn't matter. It's all about when you're ready to see it and accept it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful epiphany. Children are amazing in what they can inspire. This post is exactly what I needed to hear/read. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete